Monday, 26 January 2009

Classes begin...

Today has been a rather uneventful day, other than the start of classes. I've only had one class so far - Management of Change. It started at 9:15 this morning, but Kari and I headed to the main building early just to make sure we could find our classrooms.

From 9:15-11:15 I'm supposed to have the lecture part of my class. Today, Ian, my teacher and studies adviser, just went through introductory notes and then let us have a forty-five minute break between lecture and seminar. Ian (yes, students do call the professors by first-name) is fantastic and a real pleasure to listen to...maybe it's the Irish accent! The seminar part of the class is schedule from 11:15-1:15 and is supposed to be more of a small group discussion time where students and the professor interact rather than the professor simply dictating notes. Today seminar only went for an hour. So far the subject matter of this class sounds very interesting and I'm excited to see what the semester holds.

One thing I found rather interesting is that no one brings lap tops to class! Paper and pen are the means of notetaking here. I just hope I can write fast enough, because 65% of our course grade comes from the 3-hour exam we will take at the end of the term!

Another thing...I completely forgot what it's like being the new kid! It was so weird not knowing a single person in lecture or seminar. I did meet a nice girl named Kelly who was also new to the Jordanstown campus, having done most of her studies at Coleraine. She's here taking two modules this semester so she can finally finish her degree. I look forward to seeing her again next week.

Alright, I'm headed out to enjoy the last bit of sunlight on this beautiful day! The birds are chirping outside and it feels like spring! Jealous?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment